Paso del Norte Hotel Retail Shops
Hotel Paso Del Norte is one of El Paso’s most historic and architecturally significant buildings. Designed by renowned Architect of the Southwest, Henry C. Trost, for the owner builder Zach White. This hotel, with its imposing and powerful presence in downtown, was opened on Thanksgiving Day 1912. In the early 1980s, the hotel was renovated. A tower was added, and the name was changed to Camino Real. Today, the Myers Group has completely renovated this wonderful complex and returned the original name.
In 2019, WDA was contracted to design the retail spaces for the under-renovation 4-star hotel on the first-floor portion of the original building along the historic El Paso Street entry. The design includes a Cigar Club, Boot Shop, Flower/Gift Shop, and an Ice Cream/Coffee Bar along the marbled floor corridor leading to the original grand Tiffany Domed lobby. The Cigar Club features a large and inviting walk-in humidor and comfortable plush seating. Located along the El Paso Street thoroughfare, the Boot Shop pays homage to El Paso’s long-standing Tony Lama family. The Flower shop also adds wonderful color and aroma to that entry. Adjacent to the main lobby is the inviting Ice Cream/Coffee Bar. These warm comfortable spaces are a rich gift to El Paso’s downtown. The interior woodwork, coffered ceiling and marble floor are reminiscent of the early 1900’s a flourishing time period in El Paso when this hotel was originally built.